Thursday, April 13, 2017

"I rise for a point of personal privilege"--4/13/17

Last day! I can't believe that my senior project is already over, I had so much fun watching all of the debate and learning about the state legislature. I started the day on the House floor (physically on it, not up in the gallery), where the Rep. Ugenti-Rita introduced me to the members on the floor (no, I don't know why I look that uncomfortable, I'm sorry I was just trying to stand):


After which, they gave me a certificate signed by the Rep. Ugenti-Rita and the Speaker of the House that I was actually there, so I now have proof!
Now you know that all my blog posts weren't weird fever dreams!

Also, on a sidenote, I discovered today that I am on the homepage of the House Republican website, which was taken on opening day (try to find me):

Where's Waldo?
After which, I had the honor of sitting up on the Speakers desk during COW #3 (aka second reading of bills aka when most of the debate goes down). Whenever they do COW or second reading of bills, they always have someone else besides the Speaker act as the chair to moderate the debate, and since it was Rep. Ugenti-Rita's turn to do so, they let me sit up there with her! It was super cool to see everything going on from that viewpoint, especially considering since a guest has never sat up there during session in history. (Actually. When I went back into the office Rep. Weninger's assistant told me I had made history, and a lobbyist joked that he had been working there for 10 years and I beat him to it.) So here is a photo of me doing that, and if you want to watch snippets of me on the chair you can look here (you'll want to start at around the 25-minute mark if you really want to see some fuzzy footage of my face).

wow famous pt.2
While I was up there, someone passed me this note that had a really cute Arizona pin on it! One thing that I have learned since my time here at the legislature is to take pride in my state, so it seemed fitting that I now have a way to express that:
Co-co-chair!
I'm sorry I'm assaulting you with photos to feed my own ego, but it was so cool! In terms of actual bills, it was also an exciting day. The House talked about petitioners for initiatives and referendums, voucher reform, and ADA compliance (pretty much all of the big issues that have been talked about since day one). There were also two points of order, where legislators accused each other of impunity (and were dismissed, because I don't think anyone would really know what to do if  one actually went through), and Rep. Rubalcava apologized for his comments saying he wanted to punch a Republican sponsor of a certain bill he disliked in the throat. Also, Rep. Lovas had his last day at the House as well, as he is leaving to serve on President Trump's Small Business Administration to provide advice. Overall, it was the best last day I could have had. I am so incredibly grateful that I got this opportunity and have learned so much about politics and Arizona, and for an amazing blogging group that bothers to read and comment on all of the extra blog posts that I make. Thanks to you guys for reading all of my blog posts and definitely reading all of those insightful fact sheets I linked!!!

8 comments:

  1. Found you! Congraduations on completing your project and being famous in the legislature! You may have just earned a new nickname, coco cow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow congrats Mimi! Do you think I can get your autograph next time we see each other? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mimi. It sounds like you overall had an interesting experience. With that being said, what would you consider the most exciting thing that your learned from this experience? Also, how do you think your view on this subject has changed since you started this project 10 weeks ago?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh MY GOD mimi this is SO amazing that you made history (in arizona at least) I am so proud of you! I hope this experience really showed you the ups and downs in the life of a politician, and I hope that your career possibilities narrowed down based on this experience! I'm so happy for you and keep rocking on when you go to Cornell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mimi!

    It sounds like you are pretty well-known in the Arizona legislature and have really become quite famous. Hope you have enjoyed your senior project as much as I enjoyed reading about it! I also really like the pin you got!

    Looking forward to your final post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work mimi!
    Seems like you're really enjoying your work thus far. Nonetheless I had one question: How has your stay at the Arizona HOR change your perception of congress, or has it just stayed the same? Again, Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mimi. Congratulations on the historic moment. I am glad you have learned to appreciate our state. I hope your future is at least as exciting as your project. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mimi! Your project seems like it came to a fantastic end (I can't believe mine is over either). It's awesome to have so much proof you were indeed there- I wish Churchill gave me a cool pin haha. I can't wait to see your presentation; good luck!!

    ReplyDelete