Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Welcome!

Hello everyone! Welcome to my blog. Here is where I'll be writing about my senior project through May. In case you didn't know and stumbled onto this blog randomly, seniors at BASIS Scottsdale (which includes me) spend their third trimester of the school year interning and doing research, which culminates to one glorious presentation in May. It's a great opportunity for students (again, read me) to explore different interests and learn something new, as well as a chance to show off our blogging skills and favorite gifs.

For my project, I will be shadowing to the Rep. Michelle Ugenti-Rita at the Arizona House of Representatives, where I'll be sitting in on committees and meetings and learning more about the legislative process. I will then be using what I learned at my internship to compare with how the state legislature is represented in the mass media. If you want to learn more about my senior project, feel free to read my senior project proposal.

Each week, I'll be updating this blog with what I have learned in that week, and hopefully the Arizonians reading this can learn more about what's happening in their state legislature. Since the legislative session began a couple of weeks ago, I am assembling a series of posts describing what I've been doing under "Week 0", including what I saw on the Opening Day of the legislature, so be sure to stay tuned for that. From what I've seen, a lot of the work goes on outside of what we would consider the typical floor debates, through drafting legislature and consulting constituents and other legislators, so I am very excited to get a look at how ordinary citizens operate to create and pass laws. If you didn't know, committee meetings and floor debates are all broadcasted live on the internet and occasionally on television, so if you want to invest the same 15+ hours a week and follow along with me (and maybe catch a glimpse of me in the audience), be sure to click here to watch.

I hope you enjoy my blog and learn something along the way. Be sure to check out my other group member's blogs (linked on the side), and subscribe so you can get updates every time I post something new. But for now, see you next week!


12 comments:

  1. Wow Mimi, this sounds like such an awesome opportunity and a great real-world experience! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for you in the audience (or I could always imagine you interrupting the debate just to propose some legislation of your own ;D). I know one of the many benefits of the senior project is the creation of a network of connections with a variety of resources, so I was wondering who or how you got the idea to contact THE Arizona House of Representatives? Also, when you say mass media, is there a specific media that you'll be looking at or simply all media in general? This is very impressive, and I can't wait to read more about your findings. Keep calm and blog on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiri! I just thought the house would be an interesting place to see, I don't actually know anyone there (though the Representative and I share the same name). I'll be looking at the news media and film/television for my project. Be sure to check out Week 0 as I will be posting some things there this week...

      Delete
  2. Wow, Mimi! Sounds like your project is already well underway. I am excited to learn more. I didn't realize that meetings were broadcast online! When you say "mass media" for the purposes of this project, do you mean the state or national level? Both? Also, does the legislature/Rep. Ugenti-Rita make use social media?

    To follow-up on Kiri's question, are there specific news media sites or publications that you will use as your sample group? To gain an idea of how closely the general public follows the legislature and how, will you be sending out a survey/poll? (I'd be happy to send a link to our families if you do!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Mitrovitch! I will be looking more at the state level to be more specific to Arizona, and she does! I will be looking at local news channels like ABC 15 and Fox 10, as well as local newspapers like the Arizona Republic and the Arizona Capitol times. I'm not sure yet how I will be surveying people, but I appreciate your offer!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Mimi, this is a really interesting project! Is there a specific issue/law that you or the representative you're shadowing will be focusing on in this period? Also, is there a chance of seeing you in the audience of these live feeds? I'd be interested to see how bored - er, engaged - you look after hours sitting and listening to legislative debate. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trey! There is no specific issue that I will be focusing on, though I will be sitting in on the committees of Ways and Means, Appropriations, Government, and Education. You may be able to see me if I happen to sit behind someone who is talking, so I'll be sure to let you know if there is another chance to see me live.

      Delete
  4. Hey Mimi! This sounds like such an interesting and engaging opportunity. I am so excited to follow along through the duration of your research. Also, what exactly spurred you to learn more about the legislative process. Do you yourself hope to sit upon a committee one day? Other than that, I feel this is a very intriguing project and I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ameya! I have always had an interest in government and thought that the senior project was a great opportunity to explore that research. It would be cool to sit upon a committee some day, but I guess we'll see. Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  5. Hey Mimi! This project sounds especially interesting, and I love how you're looking at how legislation is created both on the floors of the House of Representatives and the Senate and off of them. What differences do you expect to find between the portrayal of the Arizona legislature in local media and representations of Congress in local/national media? I can't wait to see what insight you can find through watching the AZ House of Representatives in session, and I'm just as excited to hear more about how representatives interact outside of formal committee meetings. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Grady! I expect to see that state legislators will be underrepresented in the media, especially their importance in creating local laws. Either way, I am excited to find out more

      Delete
  6. Hey Mimi! This project looks like a lot of fun and I think it's great that you're looking at media representation for the legislative process in both parts of Congress. What do you think you'll see in terms of how the media portrays representatives and how they actually are? I can't wait to see what you find. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanmyaa! I don't really know what to expect on media portrayal of representatives, but I think that they currently are underrepresented in the media, which may explain why so many of us don't know what's going on at the state level. Thanks for following my blog!

      Delete