Monday, February 27, 2017

"The difference between this and sausage making..."--2/27/17

Hi everyone! Remember that bill that I mentioned back in Week 2, the first bill I had seen that had failed to pass but then replaced on the calendar? Well, it is back to haunt me. Today on the floor the members voted again, and according to the sponsor's statement had been edited again in accordance to what those opposed had issues with, which might explain why this time the bill passed with a vote of 31 to 25.

Since the floor met only briefly, I got the chance to sit in on a meeting with the Rep. Ugenti-Rita about a couple of bills that were coming over from the Senate. At this point, since the House can no longer hear new bills, it is passing the final bills that were heard in committee and moving on towards all of the Senate bills. This is what was also going on in the Education committee, which heard SB1317, SB1131, SB1098, SB1057, SB1042, SB1040, and SB1036. All in all, it was a pretty average day in the House.

This brings me to the quote of the day, which was a joke told to me by someone I met today after explaining my project. He said, "The difference between this and sausage making is that at the end of making a sausage, you have a sausage, and it's delicious; whereas here you don't always have a product, and it's not always delicious." I bring this as I am beginning to decide what my product is, and as hundreds of bills (yes, hundreds) are dying over at other chambers of the legislature. Even if a bill doesn't end up being passed, talking about the issues and working towards solutions is sometimes the most important work that legislators do.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to hear that the senate kills a lot more bills than the house. Are there any significant differences in procedural structure of political views that cause this to be the case? Also, how do they decide on the number to name the bill? That list goes from 1036 all the way to 1317!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post Mimi! I really enjoyed your quote of the day and I look forward to reading even more :).

    ReplyDelete